This recipe is based on the Spiced Lentil, Chickpea & Chorizo Soup in 500 Soups by Susannah Blake. When I first made it, I was skeptical about how it would turn out, as I am not a huge fan of chickpeas in whole form (but give me hummus and I'm perfectly happy!) and I was worried that the mexican chorizo in the freezer would create a dish that was too greasy. However, it turned out to be a lovely chili-like soup, with a warm heat and meaty feel. I made a few changes, and up-ed the yield (Soup Day would be lame with 2-quart batches...)
I have no clue how it would turn out with spanish chorizo, but I imagine it wouldn't have the ground meat feel that mexican chorizo does, once cooked, and possibly a different flavor. I'm assuming that's what Able-Bodied Brother has, so he'll have to let us know...
CHORIZO, CHICKPEA, AND LENTIL SOUP
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (if using spanish chorizo, you may need to double the oil)
- 8oz mexican chorizo; or 1lb spanish chorizo, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed dried chili/red pepper
- 1lb dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 14-oz cans drained chickpeas; or 1lb dry chickpeas, soaked, cooked, and drained
- 2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes (or 12 fresh happy summer tomatoes), with liquid
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 quarts vegetable stock (water works just fine too)
- salt/pepper to taste
In a 4-6 quart soup pot, heat the oil and fry the chorizo, onion and garlic for a few minutes. Stir in the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper, and heat for a minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Add more liquid and salt/pepper to taste.
3+ quarts, or 13 2-cup servings
Each serving: 315 calories, 23g fiber, $1.09
What's been your experience with chorizo? Have you tried both types?